Hello guys so my friend needs help and this is why…
“Athena was hit by a car in front of the fire station across from our house. She had taken off to the river a few hours previously. The driver didn’t slow down the slightest bit or even stop to make sure she was still alive, just left her for dead. Fortunately, a good samaritan who witnessed the incident, stopped and blocked the road with his truck so nobody else could hit her. He attempted to move her out of the road but due to the pain of her injury, she bit him pretty bad on his hand. Even so, he insisted she was sweet and wouldn’t leave her. He contacted us through the telephone numbers on her ID tags and then contacted the nearest veterinarian incase he couldn’t get in touch with us. He said he was going to take her in to be seen rather than leave her for dead in the road. Truly an ANGEL.
As soon as I got the call, I got to her as quick as I could. Obviously I was unaware she would head to the main road as she has only stayed in the back at the river in the past.The first day at the vet we were advised that it would be best to put her to sleep as her injuries were so severe that after 2 specialists and a nearby animal hospital looked over the X-Rays, they said the chances of getting her back leg back into socket with the damage to her hip, were so slim, nobody felt comfortable trying it. Her front leg took the most of the impact and everything above her elbow was completely shattered. To the point where nothing could be wired or pinned back together. They even didn’t feel confident about using a plate.I played my options out over and over again while I layed with her on the floor at the vet. I came to the conclusion that possibly my only option would be to humanely euthanize her since all the other Doctors showed me no positive solution.When I stared into her eyes, she stared right back into mine and kissed my face as if to say “I’m not ready”. That was all I needed to know. I will never forget the look in her face and the yellow tint to her golden eyes.Against the vets advice, I took her home for the night heavily sedated to buy myself a little more time.First thing in the morning November 08, we prepared for her front leg to be amputated and to attempt to save the back leg. I got in touch with an amazing woman who makes custom wheel chairs for dogs and was ready to start Athenas instantly.
I must have been the luckiest person in the world that day or be surrounded by the most amazing people in the world who sent me prayers, angels, and good vibes all for Athena.
Dr Grist (the owner of the clinic) used to be my boss there. He is halfway retired at this point and no longer does any work in the clinic, just oversees it.
When he found out it was my dog in surgery and then that it was THIS dog in surgery, he jumped back there to find the best possible plan of action. He put every other surgery on hold and had every doctor in there taking his orders.
We spoke over the phone a few times during the 5 hour process but what brought tears to my eyes was the determination in his voice. something i’d needed to hear this whole time when all I could feel was doubt.
He was successfully able to place her back leg into the socket as long as we can keep it in a sling for 2 weeks and then start regaining use of her muscles back there to keep her rear strong. DR Grist beleived that the only way we can do whats absolutely best for Athena would be to start with that back leg and ensure we can maintain enough strength to handle amputation of the front leg.
The plan of Action on the front leg changed when Dr Grist stepped in as well. He had thrown out an idea to me that he has seen work in the past but he would rather me try EVERYTHING first to keep all of her legs. So for the front, we’ve got an iron cast all the way around her leg that will need 6-12 weeks healing time before we can move forward. What we’re hoping for is that some of the fragment of bone will start to heal together so we can have more substance to work with so we can go in and pin and wire the main joints back together without having to resort to amputation,I know I’m not making all the sense in the world as this past week has been hell for me and Athena. Neither of us slept for the first week. She just cried in pain and i layed right beside her petting her and loving her and kissing her just like I know she would do for me if the shoe was on the other foot.
It’s hard to even say Athena’s a “dog”. She’s my DAUGHTER. We both know the long hard road we have ahead of us but I truely believe that together, as long as we always have eachother, we can turn this tragedy into triumph.Athena is the strongest, most loving, loyal, and determined girl that this world has to offer.A couple days ago I took the back sling off of her hip because it was irritating her skin so badly that shes got a terrible infection going through that leg. So now I need to worry about treating that in a timely manner.If this post makes any sense whatsoever… AWESOME. My minds so shot right now. I do wanna keep everyone updated on Athena because she is loved by SO many people. so bear with me.”
SO please donate and spread the word, this is her best friend. Shes had this pup for a long time and she needs saving. If you can’t donate REBLOG so others that can will help.
Source - vanessathena.chipin.com
- masterofthefist likes this
- taviehatesyourguts reblogged this from taviehatesyourface
- toocoolforyouscoobydoo likes this
- toocoolforyouscoobydoo reblogged this from moocats
- establishingjeri likes this
- establishingjeri reblogged this from imscreamingsixfeetunderground
- moocats reblogged this from a-free-hug
- be-my-anchor-forever likes this
- leadme-into-thenight likes this
- l-0-v-e-l-y-bones reblogged this from ssshade
- ssshade reblogged this from a-free-hug
- fuck-it0 reblogged this from lost--in--purgatory
- lost--in--purgatory reblogged this from throwing-pomegranates
- ambernicoleeiker reblogged this from thewizardofwhats
- imscreamingsixfeetunderground reblogged this from ralphmymanmymainman
- bayaaa likes this
- throwing-pomegranates reblogged this from a-free-hug
- cyber-cuntsss reblogged this from neverletgo-ofhopelove
- ralphmymanmymainman reblogged this from neverletgo-ofhopelove
- gingerhawn reblogged this from wimpypotato
- venomoushate reblogged this from neverletgo-ofhopelove
- thewizardofwhats reblogged this from neverletgo-ofhopelove
- thewizardofwhats likes this
- imsexyandinoeit reblogged this from a-free-hug
- wimpypotato reblogged this from a-free-hug
- neverletgo-ofhopelove likes this
- neverletgo-ofhopelove reblogged this from a-free-hug
- a-free-hug reblogged this from tokillacure
- thementalityofta reblogged this from rissalady
- lady-velvet reblogged this from cutelittleeggplant
- alaskankleekais reblogged this from whosker
- jojo-newhall reblogged this from lovethosepittsburghboys
- lovethosepittsburghboys reblogged this from denytheneed
- denytheneed reblogged this from long-live-the-city and added:
- denytheneed likes this
- live-chaotically likes this
- live-chaotically reblogged this from xxziggystardust
- sugaredkiss reblogged this from theredangrybird
- theredangrybird reblogged this from tokillacure
- lorijeanneelizabeth likes this
- come-to-see-the-spooky-circus reblogged this from tokillacure
- macarenomarco likes this
- impassionedoblivion likes this
- l0ve-was-l0st reblogged this from tokillacure
- bleedingmoon666 reblogged this from unstablecomponents
- amourlove088 reblogged this from tokillacure
- bow-ties-n-converse reblogged this from tokillacure
- tehyaalynn likes this
- the-bad-ass-wolf likes this
- the-bad-ass-wolf reblogged this from unstablecomponents